How to Apply
A Better Chance of Westport program is designed for highly-talented and motivated young men of color from under-resourced educational communities. Applicants have the desire and potential to succeed in high school, to pursue a higher education and to become a leader in life. Applicants should be at the top of the class in their current schools. Previous scholars have come to Westport from public middle schools in both urban and suburban settings, charter schools and parochial schools across the country.
Applications to A Better Chance of Westport are received in two ways:
- By applying through the national A Better Chance program http://www.abetterchance.org Please visit the national A Better Chance website for information on how to apply to their program.
- By applying directly to A Better Chance of Westport. Please email email@example.com to request an application. Applications are due by December 1, 2021.
As we review applications, we look for specific criteria which includes: demonstrated motivation, academic achievement (tests scores and grades), excellence as reflected in recommendations, demonstrated leadership skills, independence, readiness to leave home, and strengths and passions apart from academics.
A Better Chance of Westport program has a particular interest in applications from outstanding 8th grade students who will begin high school in the following school year. If there is an opening, we sometimes will consider a current 9th grade student.
Thank you for your interest in A Better Chance of Westport.
Additional Important Dates:
- December 1, 2021 – Scholar Applications Due to ABC Westport
- January 23, 2022 – Virtual Scholar Interviews (12:00 to 5:00 p.m.)
- January 30, 2022 – Virtual Scholar Interviews (12:00 to 5:00 p.m.)
- February 13, 2022 – Virtual Scholar Interviews (12:00 to 5:00 p.m.)
- March 6-7, 2022 – In-Person Scholar Interview Weekend
— Chukwuma Onyebuenyi, SHS ’11