Staples High School is among the best public high schools in the country. Staples graduates are consistently accepted to the most competitive colleges in the country. Students have the opportunity to take Advanced Placement coursework and exams. The AP participation rate at Staples High School is 62 percent.
In 2006, Staples High School was renovated and expanded in order to enhance teaching and learning. With a wireless environment and the latest in technology, students and teachers can now find information from whatever source is appropriate for their task. Staples High School is also known for its exceptional curriculum, broad range of extracurricular activities and outstanding program of professional development for teachers and administrators.
- 2008: Connecticut Magazine – Top Public High School in Connecticut
- 2010: Bloomberg-BusinessWeek – Best Overall Academic Performance in Connecticut
- 2011: ConnCan Research Group (Connecticut Coalition for Achievement Now) – Ranked the #1 High School in Connecticut
- 2012: GreatSchools – Staples is among the few public high schools in Connecticut to receive a distinguished Rating of 10 out of 10
- 2006 – 2010: US News – America’s Best High Schools, Silver Medalist
- 2011 – 2015: US News – America’s Best High Schools, Gold Medalist
- 2006 – 2013: Newsweek – America’s Best High Schools
- 2013: U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, has recognized Staples High School, in Westport as a National Blue Ribbon School
- 2015: Bestcolleges.com ranks Staples High School as the 23rd best public high school in the United States
- 25 AP courses
- Math sequence through multivariable calculus and different equations
- Sciences: Aerospace, Anatomy & Physiology, Astronomy, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Physics, Marine Biology, Meteorology, Environmental Science, Scientific Research
- World Languages: French, German, Italian, Latin, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish
- The Arts: Music, Theatre, Studio Art, Television Production, Culinary Arts, AP Studio Art, Radio Production
- Computer Lab: Language Lab, Science Lab, Library, Auditorium/Stage
- Inklings News – High School Newspaper
- Staples Players -Under the direction of David Roth, 4-time winners of the New England Theatre Conference Moss Hart Award.
- 10 National Merit Scholar Finalists, 1 National Merit Scholar Semifinalist, 29 National Merit commended Students
- Athletics Program – Numerous Championships
Class of 2019 Recognitions:
National Merit Scholars- 4
National Merit Semifinalists- 14
National Merit Commended Students- 30
National Hispanic Scholars- 3
AP Scholars- 172
National AP Scholars- 29
Thirty-seven varsity athletic teams compete in the Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference (FCIAC).
- Student Clubs: Amnesty International, Art Club, Chess Club, Debate Team, Future Business Leaders of America, Gay/Straight Alliance, Habitat for Humanity, Key Club, Photography Club, Staples Players, Student Assembly, Yearbook, Language Clubs, Service League of Boys and many more
- Sports Teams: Cheerleading, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Soccer, Squash, Swimming & Diving, Volleyball, Water Polo, Basketball, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Ski Team, Indoor Track, Wrestling, Baseball, Golf, Lacrosse, Rugby, Sailing, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field
- Radio Station, WWPT-FM (90.3 FM)